(from Jason)
Same song, 2nd verse. We have been surprisingly busy in the last week or so. I'll try to get the events in the right order here, but I'm not making any promises.
Knowing that our family was expanding, Miranda and I revisited our housing needs. Our first decision was to place Miranda's "southern" home back on the market to sell. It's been rented since Feb., but we are definitely not landlord material. Our second idea was to start the process of putting our "house-house", the one we live in, up for sale. Miranda's house has set for so long, we wanted to get a jump start on drumming up some interest in our other house. Well, we got more than a jump start, we kind of got a big kick start from God!
Short and sweet version--Within a week, we've received an offer to purchase our Neosho home, made an offer to purchase a home out in the country, and took care of all the loan paperwork for the bank. We'll finalize everything in the middle of August and hope to get move just in time for school to start. The funny thing is that we're actually buying a smaller house. But, it's got a little bit bigger yard, like 21 1/2 acres bigger, at the end of a dead end road. So that's a pretty good trade.
More details if you care--As we had been thinking of moving, we began searching through all the local real estate websites looking for just the right place. On the morning of the 4th, we drove to look at a place just outside of town. It was love at first site. A gorgeous piece of shady Ozark woods. The house seemed well kept and in good shape. It was early in the morning and we were there without an appointment, so we didn't look around long.
As we left, I noticed the name on the mailbox. It seemed familiar. Once we got home, I emailed a lady that works in our school district, she actually works half-time in Miranda's building, to see if she might be related or know anything about the property that was for sale. She replied fairly quickly, given it was the 4th of July. The place belonged to her son and daughter-in-law. She encouraged us to let her know if we had any questions about it.
Later in the week, we spoke with a few people at church about the place. Quite a few of our friends knew that family and one guy knew some of the history about that place. We waited until this week to contact the realtor to set up a visit. We went out Wednesday to look the place over and then went back out Thursday with Miranda's four-wheeler to check out some of the property.
It's very close to what we were hoping to find. The house is pretty small so we are going to be working on using our inside voices and keeping off each others' toes. The family who owns the place had been praying for the right kind of family to come along...well they got us, so I'm sure if that's what they were hoping for. We made an offer and then a second offer on Friday and signed a bunch of paperwork today.
As for our "house-house", I placed an ad on Craigslist and also listed it in our local newspaper. The ad in the paper first ran last Friday, the 8th. By Saturday morning, we received two calls on the house. One lady, Mrs. H. had already drove past the house and wanted to know when she might be able to look at it. I scheduled a meeting for Monday afternoon. The meeting went well. As Mrs. H. was leaving, she mentioned that she needed to go home and pray for direction about this decision. I was impressed with that and stated that we, too, had been praying for wisdom in knowing how best to handle things.
On the sidewalk, I answered a few more questions and mentioned which abstract/title company I would want to use in completing any sale. Mrs. H. stated that she went to church with the guy who ran that company and thought it was the best place to go. I replied that I knew the guy from when he and his family went to my church a few years ago. When I stated that we went to the Nazarene church here in town, the sweet lady replied, "Well, you probably know my neighbor". Yes, I did, her neighbor has taken care of all the flower arrangements and decorations at church for many years. Miranda and I had gave her many of our left-over wedding flowers to use at our church. So, we chit-chatted a little bit longer in the 100* heat and she stated that she would call me back before Tues. evening to let me know her decision. It didn't take her that long to decide as she called me back Monday evening with an offer to buy our house.
Miranda and I prayed about our decision and talked it over before I called Mrs. H. back Tuesday morning. I stated that we would like to accept her offer. She asked when we might be able to meet. When I told her our time was pretty flexible right now since we're not in school, she asked if we knew her daughter who happens to work in our school district.
Well, she also just happens to work in the same elementary school as Miranda!!!! Mrs. H. was so tickled to know that her daughter already knew who we were.
Everything this week went surprisingly quick and there were so many personal connections with both the lady wanting to buy our house and the family whose place we're wanting to buy. All three of us, as well as the realtor, really enjoyed sharing our stories and talking about how God answered our prayers in just the right way.
So, finding a new place at the end of the road signifies a brand new journey for us...we'll keep you posted on where it leads.